I’ve felt really uninspired lately. My motivation levels are low on many days, and all I want to do is watch shows and eat.
While I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking some days off for just being lazy, we’re traveling the world, a total dream come true. So allowing for these feelings to take over seems like I’m depriving myself of living to the fullest.
I’m sure I’ll regain my motivation soon enough. But instead of just waiting for it to happen, why not instigate a more positive outlook?
I present to you some of the motivating things I’ve discovered lately. Here’s to starting this week full of energy!
1. Listening to Benjamin Hardy on the Disrupt Yourself podcast (It’s episode 46, but if listening to podcasts isn’t your jam, here is the transcript) a few months back, resulted in me having a major AHA moment. His “willpower doesn’t work” idea resonated so much with me, yet it was a concept I had never explicitly thought about. It was like discovering something I had always known.
When anything self-help related pops up, my first reaction is
eye-rolling scepticism. It’s not that I don’t believe in self-improvement, I think it’s key! I just normally have a problem with the theory behind many recommendations. Oh, and with the language used! I’m not into the whole ‘just think positive and you’ll bloom into an eternally happy sunflower’ theories.
So finding someone I resonated with was exciting. But it came at the moment we were packing everything to leave and I simply had no time to explore more things written by Benjamin Hardy. Long story short, I left it in my list of to-do’s and continued life without further thought. Until yesterday.
I was having an uninspired day and did not feel like repeating my past mistake of either ignoring my weird mood, or getting angry at myself for it. So I decided to actively try regain my sass. I started reading more of his articles on medium, and got pumped almost instantly. I can’t wait to continue learning!
2. If you haven’t already, you absolutely have to watch Nanette by Hannah Gatsby. This Netflix stand up special made me laugh and cry; it was so powerful. It motivates me to be kinder to others, and most importantly to myself.
3. I was recently lent the book “How to create a vegan world: a pragmatic approach” by Tobias Leenaert. I picked it up and read it in 2 days! And that hasn’t happened to me in a long time. It was a fascinating read and made me realise so many things about my own journey and the type of advocacy I want to do. I would recommend it to everyone wanting to share something they believe in, not only vegans, because the approach it dwells into is interesting regardless. I’ll have to add it to my future collection of books (currently own none) for sure!
4. For me food is one of the great joys in life. And whilst I really enjoy cooking, elaborate meals that need a lot of work are only fun once in a while. The rest of the time I just want easy ways to quickly make something delicious. This is just the type of recipe I like having in my life, the type that is so simple that it inspires you to try something new and adapt it to your taste. So this week, I’m gonna be making myself tons of ice cream. And not just with mango!
5. We currently wash our hair with solid shampoo bars which are very handy when travelling. However, I’m intrigued by other no-poo methods and Wasteland rebel has inspired me to try other interesting options. I first have to see if any of them are viable whilst on the road, so I’ll keep you posted on that. And maybe one day I’ll try the most useful one for me, not using any product at all!
I hope you found these random sources of motivation interesting and helpful. Let me know if you’d be interested in me sharing more in the future. Happy Monday!